Recently I was in a conversation with one of my best friends (My mom!) in regards to the 10 commandments. She was trying to remember each of them, which I’m pretty sure that she didn’t need my help; regardless, I jumped in! However, I quickly realized that I didn’t have the 10 commandments memorized. Not only that, but it turns out I didn’t know where to find them in the bible. (They are in Exodus 20.)
Once I was home, I was encouraged and determined to sit down and memorize these scriptures. (I should have taken Sunday school more seriously as a kid!) I wanted to share the 10 commandments on this post, and challenge everyone reading this to memorize them. It is important for Christian’s to know the word of God, especially God’s foundational principles.
The 10 commandments:
- You shall have no other gods before God.
- You shall have no idol in place of God.
- You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
- Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
- Honor your father and your mother.
- You shall not murder.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
- You shall not covet your neighbor.
I want to encourage everyone to not just read and memorize these commandments, but also study them to understand what each of them truly mean.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Which of these are easy for me?
- Which are difficult?
- What am I currently struggling with?
- What could I help someone else with?
Just knowing something is only half of the battle. (Thanks G.I. Joe PSAs!) Where it becomes real is in the process of application to your life. To be transparent with you on this post, one of my struggles that I am currently working through is taking a Sabbath rest. I don’t know when to stop and it is difficult for me to do so… However, I am working on it and plan to overcome the struggle!
Take some time in the near future to memorize the 10 commandments and then ask yourself, which do I struggle with the most?