Many of us are familiar with Ephesians 6:10-20 and the Armor of God; however, have we truly taken time to examine the contents of it? I ask because the Spirit lovingly smacked me upside the head today while reading Bunyan’s The Pilgrim’s Progress; thus, causing me to respond with: “What the Hell was that for?”
Ok… not really, but I thought it for a quick second… The real question asked was: “What is it You need me to see? What am I missing in your Word?”
He began to show me something that I had missed for years.
You see, I once served on active duty and donned the modern “battle rattle,”; but I never saw it. Presently, I serve in an elite law enforcement agency where I don all six components of His physical armor several times a week; but, I have never seen it…
That is, until now.
Our Gracious King drew me to re-read Ephesians 6:10-20 while picturing my team on-duty. And would you look at that: The Helmet of Salvation, the Armor of Righteousness, the Shield of Faith, the Belt of Truth, the Sword of the Spirit, and the Boots of Readiness. It’s all there. Every last component… locked, cocked, and ready to rock!
I finally understood it.
I was too busy donning my “cool guy gear” to see the “real cool guy gear” being worn in the spiritual realm. Do you see it?
A Modern View and Perspective of The Armor of God:
- Every time I don my helmet, it’s not just me protecting my noggin from scrambled eggs… I am donning the holy salvation provided by Jesus alone.
- Every time I don my body armor, I’m not just carrying more equipment or protecting my vital organs… I am donning our King’s righteousness.
- Every time I don my shield at a door, I’m not just protecting my team from hot lead meant to do us harm… I am donning the faith found in Hebrews 11:1.
- Every time I don my duty belt, I’m not just strapping on more ammo or handcuffs… I am strapping on the Truth. (Reference John 14:6… We’re strapping on Jesus Himself. Geeky side notes: Any martial artist will tell you “all the power comes from the hips.” it kind of makes it ironic our belt is worn at the hips, don’t ya think?! #HolyMicDrop)
- Every time I don my duty weapon, I’m not just preparing for the worst-case scenario… I’m leaning on the Spirit’s guidance and His Word to prevail no matter what.
- Every time I don my boots, I’m not just strapping up for the day… I’m preparing the way for the Good News of Christ!
Related Post: Feelings vs. Faith: Fighting a Spiritual Battle
Man… I am floored. Praise be to God for His Sovereignty, eh? Our God is good, and Jesus is our Hope. However, there’s one more awesome knowledge bomb left in this field exercise! When I take my gear off and I walk through the door of my home at the end of the day, my “cool guy gear” may come off, but…
…my “real cool guy gear” NEVER COMES OFF.
That’s something to rejoice in! May those of us in His armor go proudly into battle today and bring home another victory for the Kingdom!