Why We Should Ruthlessly Eliminate ‘Hurry’ from Our Lives

Do you often feel rushed, busy, or in a hurry? If so, you probably relate well with a recent Gallup poll that found 61 percent of working Americans feel they don't have enough time to do the things they want to do.

professional woman in a hurry

Do you often feel rushed, busy, or in a hurry? If so, you probably relate well with a recent Gallup poll that found 61 percent of working Americans feel they don’t have enough time to do what they want to do. That number would probably be higher, but the other 39 percent didn’t have enough time to answer the survey.

Related Article: Are you really THAT busy?

As a millennial, I can empathize with that feeling of busyness. It seems like every day, I speak to someone my age who is panicked about their lack of time. To make matters worse, that panic is compounded with additional emotions associated with feeling like they’re never going to get married, have kids, buy a house, or get a job promotion.

Laughing in the Face of Hurry

Those feelings, fortunately, don’t have any victory over me, and I’d like for you to be in that position one day too.  Now I’d love to say my emotional pace was rooted in some spiritual awakening that took place in the presence of God, but really, it came from some wise coworkers of mine almost a decade ago.  Those coworkers taught me two things that I’ll never forget:

  1. Guard your schedule. Someone else’s emergency isn’t always your emergency.
  2. Always work at 80 percent. Save 100 percent for when you need it the most.

Those are two of the best pieces of advice. Thankfully, I kept those words to heart at a very young age.

The Wisdom of a Relaxed Pace

As I get older and grayer, I am discovering a spiritual element for protecting one’s comfortable pace. Fortunately, this discovery isn’t locked inside a vacuum. Renowned Christian philosopher, Dallas Willard, urges us to eliminate hurry from our lives ruthlessly.  Johns Hopkins University researchers tell us to examine what’s important to us and structure our lives around those priorities. Scripture even speaks on this topic as well.

Luke 12:25 – Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? (NIV)

1 Peter 5:6-7 – Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (NIV)

That pretty much does it for me. If scripture urges against worrying and busyness, I want to make every effort to comply. The less time we spend in a hurry, the more time we have for being in community with the Lord and with people.

Question from Ben Baxter, the author.

What can you do to slow down or escape the hurry today?

Written by Ben Baxter

My name is Ben Baxter. I am a husband, father, elder, engineer, and financial coach hailing from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. I am a regular contributor of personal finance and career development topics for The Birmingham News / AL.com. I am also the owner/editor of the multi-authored blog, Baxter & Friends.

One thought on “Why We Should Ruthlessly Eliminate ‘Hurry’ from Our Lives

  1. Solid word Ben… This one was for me today. I really needed it. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I loved this post!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.